Edward F Zigler PhD
Sterling Prof Emeritus Psychology; Emeritus Faculty; Director, Emeritus, The Edward Zigler Center in Child Development & Social Policy
Departments & Organizations
A major branch of Edward Zigler's studies and writings concerns the development and assessment of intervention programs to meet the needs of children and their families. He has worked with the State of Connecticut in designing the state school readiness program. He and his colleagues surveyed child care standards in the states as well as their preschool programs to raise awareness of the importance of quality and to guide policy makers in mandating higher quality programs. He also continues his interest in the Head Start program, conducting research, integrating the literature on early care and education, and making recommendations for the future. He and his colleagues are currently hard at work on developing a plan for a universal preschool program for our nation. more...
- BA, University of Missouri, Kansas City, 1954
- Ph.D., University of Texas , Austin, 1958
- Zigler, E. (In press). Intelligence and cognitive exceptionality: The motivational perspective. In S. Kreitler (Ed.), Cognition in context. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Zigler, E., & Beatty, B. (In press). Reliving the history of compensatory education: Policy choices, bureaucracy, and the politicized role of science in the evolution of Head Start. New York: Teachers College Press.
- Zigler, E., & Finn-Stevenson, M. (in press). The School of the 21st Century: Addressing the needs of the whole child. In B. Falk (Ed.) In defense of childhood. New York: Teachers College Press