Initiative Wins Community Service Grant from Autism Speaks!
Employment Training Program: Lean Out!
Our program of employment training is in development and we are accepting applications from women ages 18 to 28 years who are interested in getting into the work world. The program is for those who plan to work in a competitive position, in contrast to a supervised work setting. The program will entail four to six, 2 hour sessions targeting networking as a necessary skill for employment, choosing the right working environment, learning about workplace culture, presenting appropriately for work, maintaining relationships in the work environment, and enjoying your work. This will be a hands-on workshop, with role-play and exercises to improve skills. Further, we will be working on creating a resume and developing job seeking skills. Finally, participants will have the opportunity to practice skills in a work setting, with support from a job coach.
We are lucky enough to be working with Dr. Jane Thierfeld Brown, a professional with many years of experience working with individuals with ASDs who are college bound or seeking competitive employment. Please fill out the form to the right and submit it, and we will be in touch with you to set up time to meet. When we get together we will have a chance to discuss your goals and talk about how our program will help. You may also email with questions:firstname.lastname@example.org
Minutes from Leadership Working Group Meeting
- Discussion about what are the top concerns of group members: money, finding a job, making friends and connecting with intimate partners, navigating LGBT issues
- How do we learn how to be ourselves in group interactions
- Worries about how much to reveal and how much to keep back
- How to make initiations to others
- How do we deal with “gaslighting” – in our community and particulary on the web.
- Are there ways we can learn to develop anger management strategies?
- How can we develop a web site that will serve us, helping with communication between Group Members and a posting site for information.