My research includes assessment of the need for prescription medications in children and adolescents with mental health problems, including possible over prescribing, multiple medications at once, reduction of (over) prescribing, as well as the costs to patients and society associated with inappropriate or unnecessary prescribing.
Extensive Research Description
Polypharmacy reduction in children and adolescents with mental health problems,
- van Wattum, PJ (2013) [Chapter] Tuberous Sclerosis Mistaken for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Casebook of Neuropsychiatry. Hurwitz, TA, Lee, WT, Eds. APPI.
- van Wattum, PJ, Fabius, C, Roos C, Johnson T, Smith, C (2013): Polypharmacy Reduction in a Residential Treatment Center Leads to Positive Treatment Outcomes and Significant Cost Savings. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacology 23 (10): 620-27
- Mao AR, Treadwell-Deering D, Brams MN, van Wattum PJ (2009) [Chapter]: Impact on Parents of Raising a Child with a Psychiatric Illness and/or Developmental Disability. In: Kaplan and Sadock’s Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry, 9th Ed. Sadock BJ, Sadock
- van Wattum PJ, Leckman JF (2007) [Chapter]: Tourette’s Syndrome and Pharmacotherapy. In: Handbook of Contemporary Neuropharmacology. Sibley D, Hamin I, Kuhar M, Skolnick P, Eds. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. Hoboken, NJ: 263-90
- van Wattum, PJ, (2006) Stuttering improved with Risperidone. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry, 45 (2): 133
- Chiles C, van Wattum PJ (2003): Pleural Fluid Eosinophilia in Combined Pharmacotherapy, Psychosomatics 44:437-38
- van Wattum PJ, Anderson GM, Chappell PB, Goodman WK, Riddle MA, Leckman, JF (1999): Cerebrospinal Fluid Dynorphin A [1-8] and ?-Endorphin Levels in Tourette’s Syndrome Are Unaltered. Biol Psychiatry 45 (11): 1527-8